Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
6 cups Chicken Stock
All-Purpose Flour, To coat the Shanks
8 ea Veal Shanks with Marrow (about 2inches thick each)
2 tbsp Butter
2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 ea Onion, Finely Chopped
1 ea Carrot, Finely Chopped
1 ea Celery, Finely Chopped
2 to 3 tbsp Tomato Sauce
1 cup Dry White Wine
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper to Taste
3 tbsp Flat-Leaf Parsley, Chopped
1 ea Garlic Clove, Crushed
Rind of 1 Lemon, Grated
Method of Preparation
- Bring the stock to a boil in a medium saucepan, then reduce the heat and keep at a bare simmer.
- Season the flour with salt and pepper to taste and coat the veal with the flour.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the veal and brown on all sides.
- Remove the meat from the pan and add the carrot, onion and celery.
- Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the wine and reduce slightly.
- Return the meat to the saucepan.
- Add the tomato sauce and cover with stock, adding 1 cup at a time as needed.
- Cover and cook gently until tender, about 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- If the sauce is too thin, remove the meat from the pan, raise the heat and reduce the sauce further.
- While the veal is cooking, make the Gremolada by combining the parsley, garlic and lemon rind.
- Just before serving, sprinkle the Gremolada over the meat.
Tales of Risotto, Culinary Adventures from Villa d’Este by Jean Govoni Salvadore