Orange Duck Ragu Over Pasta
All ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market & Cafe
• 1/2 lb Boneless, Skin on Duck Breast
• 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• 1/2 tsp ea Salt and Pepper
• 1 ea Shallot, Minced
• 1 ea Carrot, Diced
• 1 ea Zucchini, Peel Only, Diced
• 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter
• 2 ea Oranges, Zest Only
• 4 ea Egg Yolks
• 2/3 cup Heavy Cream
• 10 oz Fettucine or Pappardelle Pasta, Cooked
Method of Preparation
1. To prep the duck: Score the fat of the duck breast crosswise.
2. Heat a medium size skillet with 1 tbsp oil.
3. Place duck breast in oil, skin side down and sear for 3 to 4 minutes. Reserve the fat and oil in the pan.
4. Let the duck cool and then cut into 1inch pieces.
5. To make the sauce: In the same skillet, over medium heat, sauté the shallot, carrot and zucchini peel in the duck fat for 5 minutes.
6. Stir in the duck breast and cook over high heat for 8 minutes.
7. Season with salt and pepper.
8. In a separate skillet, heat the butter and orange zest. Cook for 2 minutes.
9. In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks with cream.
10. Pour the egg yolk mixture into the butter and orange zest.
11. Fold in the cooked pasta and sautéed duck.
12. Cook over high heat for 1 minute.
13. Transfer to a serving dish and serve hot with plenty of black pepper.
The Magazine of La Cucina Italiana