Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
2.2 lbs Onions, Sliced
1 1/2 oz Shortening
3 tbsp Olive Oil
1 lb Tomatoes
5 1/4 cup Beef Broth
2 1/2 oz Grana Padano, Grated
2 ea Egg Yolks
8 ea Thin Slices of Bread
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Method of Preparation
- Sauté the shortening in olive oil until transparent.
- Add the onion and sauté the onion until transparent but not brown.
- While sautéing the onions, boil tomatoes until soft enough to remove the skin.
- Remove the skin, leaving the inner bulbs in tact.
- Mix tomatoes in to onions and add the beef broth.
- Let boil on low heat for 1 1/2 hours.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Over low heat, stir in the grated cheese and amalgamated egg yolks.
- Toast bread in the oven and put them into deep soup bowls.
- Pour the soup over top of the bread and serve immediately.
The Cheeses of Italy, Ars Vivendi