Olive Oil Cake
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
1 1/2 cups Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Plus more for oiling pans
1 cup Fresh Orange Juice
1 tsp Fine Sea Salt
2 cups All-Purpose Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
3 ea Eggs, Room Temperature
2 cups Granulated Sugar
1 1/4 cups Whole Milk
1/4 cup Orange Liqueur, Dark Rum Brandy or Whiskey
1 tbsp Grated Lemon Zest
1 tsp Anise Seed
2 tsp Fresh Rosemary, Chopped Fine, Plus 2 sprigs for garnish
6 tbsp Lemon or Orange Marmalade
Method of Preparation
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Oil two 10inch round cake pans with olive oil.
3. Pour the orange juice into a small sauce pan, bring to a simmer over medium heat.
4. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes.
5. Remove from the heat, stir in the salt and let cool to room temperature.
6. In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and baking powder.
7. Set aside.
8. In a stand mixer fitter with a paddle attachment, beat the eggs on medium speed until just blended.
9. Add the sugar, olive oil, milk, liqueur, lemon zest, anise seed and 1 tsp of the rosemary.
10. Mix on medium speed until well blended, about 1 minute.
11. Add the flour mixture and mix until well blended.
12. Divide the batter evenly between prepared cake pans.
13. Place in the oven and bake for 1 hour.
14. Cake should be firmly set, golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
15. Remove from the oven and place on racks.
16. Let cool to room temperature.
17. Run a knife blade around the edges of each pan to loosen the sides of the pans, then turn upright and place on flat serving plates.
18. Using an icing spatula spread 3 tbsp of the marmalade evenly over the top of each cake.
19. Sprinkle the remaining 1 tsp of rosemary evenly over the cakes.
20. Garnish the center of each cake with a rosemary sprig.
21. To serve, cut each cake into 4 wedges.
Italian Cooking and Living Magazine, February 2004 Issue