Neapolitan Style Eggplant
Most ingredients are available in the market!
6 ea Eggplants
1/2 cup Course-Grained Salt
1/2 cup Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
2 cups Vegetable Oil
2 ea Garlic Cloves, Peeled
2 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
3/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
15 ea Italian Parsley Sprigs, Leaves Only
3 ea Whole Anchovies in Salt, or 6 anchovy fillets in oil, Drained
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Method of Preparation
1. Peel the eggplants and cut them into 1/2in cubes.
2. Spread the cubes over a large platter and sprinkle the coarse-grained salt over them.
3. Let stand for a 1/2 hour.
4. Then rinse the eggplant cubes under cold running water and dry them with paper towels.
5. Heat the vegetable oil and 1/4 cup of the olive oil together in a deep-fat fryer.
6. Line a serving dish with paper towels.
7. Lightly flour the eggplant.
8. When the oil is warm, fry about 15 pieces at a time, turning them until they are golden brown all over.
9. Transfer the cooked eggplant to the prepared serving dish to drain.
10. While the eggplant cubes are cooking, prepare the sauce.
11. Put the remaining 1/2 cup of oil in a small heavy saucepan over low heat.
12. If using anchovies in salt, fillet them under cold running water.
13. Finely chop the parsley and garlic together.
14. When the oil is warm, add the anchovy fillets and mash them with a fork.
15. Add the wine vinegar, salt and pepper to taste and let the vinegar evaporate for 2 minutes.
16. By that time the eggplant cubes should all be cooked.
17. Transfer the eggplant to another serving platter, pour the anchovy sauce over it and sprinkle it with the chopped parsley and garlic.
18. Mix together very well and serve immediately.
Giuliano Bugialli’s Foods of ITALY