Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
1 ea Ripe Pear
1 ea Coin Ginger, 1 ¼ inches thick
1/4 tsp Crush Red Pepper Flakes
2 tbsp Butter, Unsalted
1 package mozzarella cheese or fresh mozzarella from Antonio’s
6 ea Thing Slices Prosciutto
1 ea Garlic Clove, Whole but Bruised
12 ea Slices of Baguette, each ½ inch thick
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Method of Preparation
1. Quarter the pear lengthwise and cut out the core (leave skin on).
2. Cut crosswise into thin slices.
3. Heat the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat.
4. Add the pear slices, ginger and red pepper.
5. Cook for about 10 minutes, until pears are a caramel-brown color.
6. Discard the ginger and set the pears aside.
7. Warm a large skillet over medium heat.
8. Add enough oil to coat the pan.
9. Add garlic and a pinch of salt.
10. When the garlic begins to sizzle, add the bread (in batches) and toast until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
11. Discard the garlic.
12. Drain toasted bread on paper towels.
13. Spread each slice of toasted bread with a thin layer or marmalade.
14. Spread each with mozzarella slices
15. Top with a slice of prosciutto and a few pears.
Tastes of Italia Magazine, April 2010 Issue