Minestrone Soup alla Milanese
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
12 oz Rice or Small Pasta
6 ea Pancetta Slices, Chopped
3 tbsp Butter
2 ea Garlic Cloves, Chopped
1/4 head Savory Cabbage, Roughly Chopped
1 ea Onion, Chopped
1 ea Celery Stalk, Diced
2 ea Carrots, Cut into small Cubes
2 ea Zucchini, Cut into Cubes
1 lb Tomatoes, Peeled and Cut into Cubes
3 ea Potatoes, Peeled and Cut into Cubes
1 lb Peas, Fresh or Frozen
8 oz Canned Cannellini Beans, Drained and Rinsed
8 ea Basil Leaves
1 bunch Parsley, Chopped
2 ea Sage Leaves
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper, To Taste
Parmigiano-Reggiano, Freshly Grated, For Garnish
Method of Preparation
1. Combine the parsley, garlic and pancetta together.
2. Finely chop by hand or in a food processor.
3. In a large stockpot, heat the butter and sauté the onion for 2 minutes.
4. Add the garlic, pancetta, parsley mixture.
5. Add the sage.
6. Cook until pancetta turns golden brown.
7. Add the carrots, celery, potatoes, zucchini, tomatoes, kidney beans and basil.
8. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring well.
9. Add 3 quarts of water and one tsp salt to the pot.
10. Cover and simmer over low heat for 2 hours.
11. Add the peas and cabbage along with the pasta or rice.
12. Cook for 10 to 20 minutes more, until the pasta or rice is cooked.
13. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
14. Serve in individual bowls with some Parmigiano-Reggiano grated on top of each.
Italian Cooking and Living Magazine, January 2014 Issue