Milanese Risotto with Saffron
Most ingredients are available in the market!
6 cups Chicken Stock
2 tbsp Butter
1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 ea Onion, Finely Chopped
2 cups Carnaroli Rice
2 oz Beef Marrow (Optional but highly suggested!)
1/4 tsp Saffron Threads
6 tbsp Parmesan Cheese, Grated
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper to Taste
Method of Preparation
1. Bring the stock to a boil in a medium saucepan, then reduce the heat and keep at a bare simmer.
2. Warm the olive oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat.
3. Add the beef marrow, if using, and onion and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes.
4. Add the rice and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes.
5. Make sure every grain is coated with oil.
6. Add 1 cup of the stock and stir until the liquid is absorbed.
7. Continue adding stock, about 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently and making sure all the liquid is absorbed before adding more stock.
8. When half the stock has been added, add the saffron.
9. Continue to add stock.
10. Cook until the rice is just tender and creamy, about 15 to 20 minutes.
11. You may have some leftover stock.
12. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the butter, the Parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper to taste.
13. Let the risotto rest for a minute or two before serving to absorb the full color of the saffron, it should be a strong yellow color.
14. Serve on individual plates with extra Parmesan on top.
Tales of Risotto, Culinary Adventures from Villa d’Este by Jean Govoni Salvadore and Luciano Parolari