Melon Carpaccio with Toasted Fennel Seed Dressing
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
1 ripe Cantaloupe, 2 rounds plus
1 ripe Honeydew, 2 rounds plus
16 cured Black Olives
1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Plus extra for toasting the seeds
1/4 cup Shallots, Finely Chopped
1 tsp Sugar
2 tsp Fennel Seeds
Juice of 1 Lemon, Strained
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper, To Taste
Method of Preparation
1. Cut each melon in half, remove seeds and slice as thinly as possible.
2. Remove rind from each piece.
3. Put slices in a large bowl and cover with orange juice.
4. Toss lightly and carefully.
5. Toast the fennel seeds in a lightly oiled skillet.
6. When the seeds are cooled, grind them in a spice grinder to break up, do not turn to powder.
7. Place the seeds into a bowl, add olive oil and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes.
8. In another bowl, combine lemon juice, shallots, sugar, salt and pepper.
9. Stir until the sugar dissolves.
10. Combine fennel oil and lemon juice mixture, whisk together well.
11. Arrange the melon slices on a large platter by alternating one cantaloupe slice with a honeydew slice slightly over lapping until all are used.
12. Spoon the dressing over the slices and sprinkle the olives over top.
Tastes of Italia Magazine, August 2011 Issue