Most ingredients are available in the market!
2 tbsp Butter
2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 ea Onion, Chopped
1 ea Carrot, Chopped
1 ea Celery Stalk, Chopped
1/2 lb Ground Beef
1/2 lb Ground Veal
1/2 lb Ground Pork or Sausage
1/2 cup Dried Mushrooms, Soaked in water and Strained
1 cup Dry Red Wine
1 tbsp Dried Herbs
2 tbsp Tomato Paste
1 ea 12oz Can Italian Peeled Plum Tomatoes, Chopped
1 to 2 cups Vegetable Stock
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper, To Taste
Method of Preparation
- Melt the butter with the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrot and celery and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the ground beef, veal and pork, the mushrooms, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn the heat up and pour in the wine.
- When the wine has almost evaporated, lower the heat and add the herbs, tomato paste and tomatoes.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, for at least 1 hour (the longer the better).
- Add a little stock at a time as needed.
Tales of Risotto, Culinary Adventures from Villa d’Este by Jean Govoni Salvadore and Luciano Parolari