Mantua Style Squash Soup
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
8 tbsp Sweet Butter
3 cups Homemade Beef Broth
1 ea Butternut Squash, About 2lbs
4 oz Prosciutto, In one piece
6 ea Basil Leaves
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Method of Preparation
1. Cut the squash into thirds, then remove the skin and seeds.
2. Cut the squash into small pieces and soak them in a bowl of cold water for a 1/2 hour.
3. Melt the butter in a heavy pot over low heat.
4. When the butter is melted, add the whole piece of prosciutto and sauté for 5 minutes.
5. Drain the squash and add it to the pot.
6. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
7. Add the broth, cover again, and simmer for 15 minutes more.
8. Discard the prosciutto and pass the soup through a food mill, using the disc with the small holes, into a second large pot.
9. Put the pot over medium heat.
10. Add salt and pepper to taste.
11. Cover and cook for 10 minutes more.
12. Serve hot with the basil leaves placed on top of each serving.
Giuliano Bugialli’s Foods of ITALY