Risotto with Lobster & Crayfish
A delicious dish worth the effort!
• 1 lb Lobster
• 12 ea Crayfish
• 2 ea Shallots, sliced thin
• 1 clove Garlic, Chopped
• 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• 1 ea Bay Leaf
• 2 oz Cherry Tomatoes
• 1/4 cup Cognac
• 1 cup Dry White Wine
• 1 cup Chicken Broth
• 5 cups Fish Stock
• 2 tbsp Butter
• 1 ea Onion, Chopped
• 2 cups Arborio Rice
• 2 tbsp Parmesan Cheese, Grated
• 1 tbsp Flat-Leaf Parsley, Minced
• 1 ea Juice from One Lemon
• Salt and Pepper, To Taste
Method of Preparation
1. Cut the lobster in half lengthwise.
2. Warm one tablespoon of the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the lobster and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Add the shallots, bay leaf and cheery tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Flambé with the Cognac and wine.
5. When evaporated, add the chicken stock and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, until the lobster meat is cooked through.
6. Let cool slightly, remove the meat from the lobster carcass and save the head for garnish. Discard the rest of the carcasses.
7. In a separate sauté pan, warm the remaining 1 table spoon of olive oil over medium heat.
8. Add the garlic and crayfish and cook for 2 minutes.
9. Meanwhile, make the risotto; bring the fish stock to a boil in a medium saucepan, reduce the heat and keep at a simmer.
10. In a separate large, heave saucepan melt 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium heat.
11. Add the onion and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, for 3 minutes.
12. Add the rice and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until every grain is coated with butter.
13. Add 1 cup of the stock and stir until the liquid is absorbed.
14. Continue adding stock, about 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently and making sure all the liquid is absorbed before adding more stock.
15. After you finish adding the stock, add the lobster cooking sauce.
16. Cook an additional 15 to 20 minutes, rice will be tender and creamy but still al dente.
17. Remove the pan from heat and stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter, the Parmesan cheese, parsley, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
18. Let the risotto rest for 2 minutes and serve on individual plates.
19. Garnish with the lobster meat, lobster heads and the crayfish.
The Magazine of La Cucina Italiana