Little Ears with Slow Braised Meat Sauce
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
1 lb Spicy or Sweet Italian Sausage, Removed from the Casing
16 oz Orecchiette
2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 ea Garlic Cloves
2 tbsp Butter
1 lb Tomatoes, Chopped (or 12oz crushed tomatoes)
1 ea Onion, Finely Chopped
2 ea Potatoes, Peeled, Boiled and Cubed (optional)
1/4 cup Heavy Cream (optional)
2 cups Chicken Broth (or beef broth)
1 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, Grated
1/2 cup Flat-Leaf Parsley, Chopped
1/2 cup Basil, Chopped
Method of Preparation
1. In a casserole or saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat until just before the smoking point.
2. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Add the sausage and cooked until browned, about 5 to 6 minutes.
4. Make sure to break the sausage up while cooking.
5. Add the onions and basil and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Add the tomatoes to the broth.
7. Let this simmer for about 20 minutes.
8. Add the potatoes and heavy cream, if using.
9. Stir in the butter to finish the sauce.
10. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
11. Cook the orecchiette until just al dente.
12. Drain and toss with the meat sauce.
13. Generously grate cheese over the top.
14. Garnish with the parsley.
15. Serve immediately.
Tastes of Italia Magazine, June 2011 Issue