Lemon Crème Souffles
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
1/2 cup Flour
1 cup Sugar
1/4 cup Cornmeal
1 cup Whole Milk
2 ea Eggs, Separated
1 tsp Grated Lemon Zest
1/3 cup Fresh Lemon Juice
1/4 tsp Salt
Powdered Sugar, For Garnish
Method of Preparation
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a medium bowl, beat egg whites with an electric beater until stiff peaks form.
3. In a separate bowl beat yolks slightly, then beat in the milk, lemon zest and lemon juice.
4. Continue beating while adding the sugar, flour, cornmeal and salt.
5. Keep beating until smooth.
6. Fold in the egg whites.
7. Divide the mixture among 6 ramekins.
8. Place the ramekins in a 9x13x2inch baking pan.
9. Fill the pan with 1 inch of boiling water.
10. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
11. Serve in ramekins or inverted (see option below).
12. Optional- with a knife, gently loosen the soufflé from each ramekin and invert them onto serving plates.
13. Dust tops with powdered sugar.
Tastes of Italia Magazine, October 2009 Issue