Lemon-Basil Sorbet with Raspberries
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
2 ea Lemons
1 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Basil Leaves, Loosely Packed and Torn, Plus more for Garnish
1/2 cup Raspberries
Method of Preparation
1. In a blender, puree the basil with 1/4 cup of cold water.
2. Place in the refrigerator to chill.
3. Finely grate the zest from both lemons into a medium bowl.
4. Squeeze 1/3 cup of fresh lemon juice from the lemons.
5. Add the juice to the bowl of zest.
6. In a small, heavy saucepan, combine the sugar with 1/2 a cup of water.
7. Heat over high heat, stirring continuously, until the sugar has just dissolved.
8. Transfer the syrup to a metal bowl.
9. Stir in 1 1/4 cups very cold water.
10. Put the bowl in an ice bath.
11. Stir the mixture occasionally until thoroughly chilled, about 15 minutes.
12. Whisk in the lemon juice and zest mixture and the Basil Pure.
13. Freeze the mixture in an ice cream maker for 15 minutes.
14. Continue to freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
15. Serve with raspberries and garnish with basil leaves.
La Cucina Italiana Magazine, May/June 2013 Issue