Lemon and Cumin White Bean Salad
The beans for this will need to soak overnight
2 cups (14oz) dried Great Northern Beans
2 ea Bay Leaves
1 1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 ea Red Onion, Thinly Sliced
1/2 cup Chopped Fresh Italian Parsley
6 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
5 tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
1 tsp Ground Cumin
1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
8 ea Large Lettuce Leaves
Method of Preparation
1. In a large bowl, cover beans with water by at least 4 inches. Allow to soak overnight.
2. Drain beans and place in a large saucepan.
3. Add bay leaves and enough fresh, cold water to cover by 2 inches, bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Add salt and continue to simmer until beans are tender but still hold shape, about 15 minutes.
6. Drain beans and place in a large bowl, discard bay leaves.
7. Add onion and parsley.
8. Whisk oil, lemon juice, cumin and cayenne in a medium bowl.
9. Season dressing with salt and pepper.
10. Pour the dressing over the bean salad and toss gently to combine.
11. Spoon bean salad into lettuce leaves and serve.