Lemon Almond Tart
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
For the Pastry:
1 3/4 cups Flour
1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
1/2 cup Almonds, Toasted and Finely Ground
1 ea Egg, Lightly Beaten
8 tbsp Butter, Melted
1/8 tsp Salt
2 cups Dried Beans to Weight the Pastry Shell with
For the Filling:
3/4 cups Granulated Sugar
6 ea Egg Yolks
Juice and Zest of 3 large Lemons
Method of Preparation
1. Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F.
2. Spray a 9inch tart pan with nonfat cooking spray.
3. For the pastry- Mix the flour, almonds and sugar in a medium bowl.
4. Add the butter, mixing in with a fork until pebbles form.
5. Add the egg and salt and mix well.
6. For the filling- Combine the sugar, lemon juice, zest and egg yolks.
7. Beat to mix well.
8. Pour into the top of a double broiler with gently boiling water.
9. Whisk constantly for 20 minutes until the mixture thickens.
10. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
11. Press the dough into the tart pan.
12. Line the bottom with foil and fill it with 2 cups of dried beans.
13. Bake for 10 minutes and then remove from the oven.
14. Remove the foil and beans.
15. Allow the shell to cool slightly.
16. Reduce the oven heat to 325 degrees F.
17. Pour the lemon mixture into the shell and bake for 15 minutes.
18. Let cool before serving.
Tastes of Italia Magazine, April 2016 Issue