Leek Soup with Shoestring Potatoes and Fried Herb
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
For the Soup
6 ea Leeks, white and pale-green parts only, Halved lengthwise, Thinly Sliced Crosswise
1 ea Onion, Sliced Thin
5 ea Garlic Cloves, Thinly Sliced
1/2 cup Butter, Unsalted
2 cups Whole Milk, Divided
1 cup Whole-Milk Yogurt, Divided
1 cup Heavy Cream, Divided
Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper, To Taste
For the Potatoes and Herbs
1 ea Russet Potato, Peeled, Cut into thin matchsticks
1/4 cup Flat-Leaf Parsley, Leaves Only
1 ea Rosemary Sprig
4 cups Vegetable Oil, For Frying
Flaky Sea Salt
Method of Preparation
1. For the soup- melt the butter in a large, heavy pot over medium heat.
2. Add the leeks, onion and garlic.
3. Season with salt.
4. Cook, stirring often, for 5-7 minutes.
5. Add 1 cup of water and cook, stirring occasionally, for an additional 25-30 minutes.
6. Let cool slightly, then transfer half of the leek mixture to a blender.
7. Add half off the milk, cream and yogurt.
8. Puree until very smooth and pour into a large bowl.
9. Repeat with the remaining leek mixture, milk, cream and yogurt.
10. Return the soup to the pot and heat over medium.
11. Add water, by 1/4cupfuls, until the soup is thick enough to hold the potatoes without sinking but thin enough that a spoon dredged over top doesn’t leave a trail.
12. Season with salt and pepper.
13. For the potatoes and herbs- rinse the potatoes in a colander under cold water and pat dry.
14. Fit a medium sized saucepan with a thermometer and put in oil to measure 2inches deep.
15. Heat over medium-high heat until the thermometer reads 350 degrees F.
16. Working in batches and returning the oil to 350 degrees F between batches, add the potatoes by the handful and fry, turning occasionally for about 2 minutes.
17. Potatoes should be golden and crisp.
18. Using a spider or slotted spoon, transfer the potatoes to paper towels to drain.
19. Fry the parsley and rosemary for about 15 seconds.
20. Add to the paper towels to drain.
21. Sprinkle with kosher salt to season.
22. Serve soup topped with a nest of potatoes and herbs and season with sea salt.
Bon Appetit Magazine, October 2014 Issue