Hot Cheese Sandwiches
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
8 oz Square White Bread
4 ea Mozzarella Slices, Thick
8 oz Anchovy Fillets
2 ea Eggs
2 tbsp Milk
Method of Preparation
- Remove crust from the bread.
- Place one slice of Mozzarella and 2 anchovy fillets on 4 slices of bread.
- Cover with a second slice of bread to make a sandwich.
- Lightly dip the edges of the bread into cold water so that they can be pressed closed over the cheese; this prevents the melted cheese from seeping out.
- Beat the eggs well and add salt.
- Lightly flour the sandwich bread on both sides.
- Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Dip the sandwiches in the beaten egg and coat well.
- Fry until golden brown and drain on a paper towel.
- Serve immediately.
The Cheeses of Italy, Ars Vivendi