Gruyere Stuffed Meatballs with Peppers and Olives
All ingredients are available in the market!
1 cup Gruyere Cheese, Grated
1/2 cup Prosciutto, Sliced Thick, Cut into 1/8in dice
1/3 cup plus 2 tbsp Parsley, Chopped
1 1/3 lb Ground Beef
3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tbsp Butter, Unsalted
1 ea Red Bell Pepper, Cut into 1/4in dice
1/2 cup Kalamata Olives, Pitted
Fine Sea Salt
Method of Preparation
1. In a bowl, mix together cheese, prosciutto and 1/3 cup parsley, set aside.
2. Season beef with 1/2 tsp salt, then form into 12 meatballs.
3. On a large plate or baking sheet, gently flatten meatballs with your palm.
4. Place a mound of the cheese mixture into the center of each, then reform meatballs around the stuffing.
5. Heat oil and butter in a large, heavy skillet with a lid over medium-high heat.
6. Fry meatballs, turning occasionally, until well browned, 5-6 minutes.
7. Add bell pepper, olives and generous pinch of salt.
8. Reduce heat to medium and cook, covered, until meatballs are cooked through and peppers are tender, about 5 minutes.
9. Remove from heat, sprinkle with remaining 2 tbsp parsley and serve warm.
La Cucina Italiana Magazine, April 2012 Issue