Grilled Porterhouse Steak with Bone Marrow Gremolata
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
Cold Beef Marrow, scraped from 1 split (6inch long) beef marrow bone
2 tbsp Flat-Leaf Parsley, Finely Chopped
1 ea Garlic Clove, Finely Chopped
Zest of 1 Lemon
1/4 tsp Whole Black Peppercorns, Coarsely Crushed
1 ea 2 ½-3lb Porterhouse Steak, 2inches thick
1/2 tsp Whole Black Peppercorns, Coarsely Crushed
Fine Sea Salt
Lemon Wedges, For Garnish
Method of Preparation
1. For the bone marrow gremolata- in a bowl, combine marrow, parsley, garlic, lemon zest, peppercorns and a generous pinch of salt.
2. Mix together with a fix to combine well.
3. For the steak- prepare a charcoal grill for direct heat over medium-hot charcoals.
4. You can also use a gas grill at medium-high heat.
5. Rub the steak with the peppercorns, season with salt, then grill, shifting the meat every 30 seconds, for 8-10 minutes.
6. Turn and repeat on the other side of the steak.
7. Season with salt.
8. Using tongs prop the steak up and grill the edges until browned.
9. Grill the sides of the steak again until steak is cooked to rare (about 120 degrees F).
10. Transfer steak to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes.
11. Slice the steak, spread the gremolata onto the warm meat and garnish with lemon wedges.
La Cucina Italiana Magazine, November 2013 Issue