Grilled Nectarines with Berry-Nectarine Puree
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
5 ea Nectarines
2 tbsp Sugar, Divided, Plus extra
2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
1/4 cup Strawberries, Washed and Hilled
Juice of 1/2 a Lemon
Fresh Basil Leaves, for Garnish
Method of Preparation
1. Preheat a grill pan over medium-low heat.
2. Cut 4 nectarines in half and remove the pits.
3. Rub the nectarine halves with oil and sprinkle the cut side with 1 tbsp sugar.
4. Place them on a grill, cut side down and grill for 2 minutes.
5. Turn them over and grill another 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, bring a saucepan of water to a boil.
7. Add the remaining nectarine and cook for 30 seconds.
8. Remove and plunge it into a bowl of ice.
9. When cool drain, peel and discard the skin.
10. Cut in half and remove the pit.
11. Roughly chop the nectarine and place in a blender.
12. Add the strawberries and remaining tbsp of sugar, lemon juice and 1 tbsp of water.
13. Puree until smooth, adding more water if necessary.
14. Taste and adjust the seasoning with more sugar.
15. Arrange the grilled nectarines on a platter, cut side up and serve with the berry-nectarine puree.
16. Garnish with the basil leaves.
Italian Cooking and Living Magazine, September 2003 Issue