Green Salad with Scamorza and Spicy Olive Oil
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
1/2 lb Green Beans, Trimmed and Halved Lengthwise
1 1/3 cups Fava Beans, Shelled (From 2 lbs in pods)
1 1/2 cups Peas, Shelled (From 2 lbs in pods) or Frozen Peas, Not Thawed
8 ea Asparagus Spears, Trimmed, Cut Crosswise into Quarters, Tips cut in half Lengthwise
7 cups Arugula
2 1/2 oz Smoked Scamorza, Smoked Mozzarella or Aged Smoked Cheddar Cheese, Grated on Large Holes of a Box Grater
5 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/8 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
Fine Sea Salt
Method of Preparation
1. In a small saucepan, combine oil and red pepper flakes.
2. Heat over medium-low heat just until oil is warm and bubbles break the surface.
3. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil.
5. Add the fava beans and cook for 1 minute.
6. Remove, reserving pot of water, with a slotted spoon to a colander.
7. Run the beans under cold water, peel and discard the skins.
8. Add the green beans and peas to the boiling water.
9. Cook for 2 minutes.
10. Then add the asparagus.
11. Cook for 2 minutes more.
12. Drain the vegetables and transfer to a colander.
13. Cool slightly.
14. Place the arugula in a large serving bowl.
15. Add the fava beans, green beans, peas, asparagus, half of the cheese and 1/4 tsp of salt.
16. Strain the oil through a fine-mesh sieve over the salad.
17. Toss to combine.
18. Divide the salad among serving plates.
19. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
La Cucina Italiana Magazine, May/June 2013 Issue