Green Parsley Spaghetti with Zucchini Puree
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
For the Pasta-
3 cups Flat-Leaf Parsley Leaves
2 1/4 cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/4 tsp Fine Sea Salt
For the Zucchini and Puree-
1 1/2 lbs Zucchini
12 ea Zucchini Flowers, Steams and Pistils Removed (Optional)
1 ea Lemon
1 tsp Fresh Marjoram Leaves (Optional)
2 tbsp Basil Leaves, Thinly Sliced
Fine Sea Salt and Freshly Ground White Pepper
Method of Preparation
1. For the Pasta- In a blender, combine parsley, salt and 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp tepid water.
2. Puree until smooth.
3. On a clean work surface, mound flour and form a well in the center.
4. Add the puree to the well.
5. Using a fork, slowly incorporate the flour from the inside rim of the well.
6. Continue until liquid is absorbed.
7. When dough becomes too stiff to work with a fork, knead by hand for 5 to 7 minutes, until the flour is fully incorporated and dough is smooth and elastic.
8. Wrap the dough tightly in plastic and let rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
9. Meanwhile, prepare the zucchini and puree.
10. For the zucchini and puree- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
11. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
12. Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise and cut one half into 1/2inch thick half-moons.
13. Arrange in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
14. Drizzle with 1 tbsp oil and season with 1/4tsp salt.
15. Bake for 35 minutes.
16. Meanwhile, using an adjustable-blade slicer cut remaining zucchini into a fine julienne.
17. In a large skillet, heat 3 tbsp oil over medium-high heat.
18. Add the julienned zucchini, 1/2tsp salt and a pinch of pepper.
19. Cook stirring occasionally for 3 minutes.
20. Remove from the heat.
21. Stir in the zucchini blossoms and marjoram leaves if using, then finely grate zest from 1/2 of the lemon over the mixture.
22. Stir to combine.
23. Set aside.
24. Divide dough into 4 pieces.
25. Rewrap 3 pieces in plastic wrap.
26. Platen the unwrapped dough so that it will fit through the rollers of a pasta machine.
27. Set rollers of pasta machine at the widest setting, then feed the dough through 3 to 4 times, folding and turning the dough until it is smooth and the width of the machine.
28. Feed pasta through the machine, decreasing the setting one notch at a time, do not fold or turn the pasta.
29. Feed through the machine until the pasta is at 2 millimeter thick sheets.
30. Using a pasta cutting attachment or by hand, cut the sheets in to spaghetti, about 1/8inch thick.
31. Lightly dust the pasta with flour.
32. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
33. Meanwhile, squeeze 1/4 tsp lemon juice.
34. In a blender combine the roasted zucchini, lemon juice, remaining 5 tbsp oil, basil, a generous pinch of salt and 1 tbsp water.
35. Puree until smooth.
36. Cook the pasta in the boiling water for 3 minutes.
37. Drain, transfer to a large bowl and toss with the zucchini strips and 1/3 of the zucchini puree.
38. Spoon the remaining puree onto serving plates then top with the pasta.
39. Garnish with marjoram leaves, if using.
La Cucina Italiana Magazine, May/June 2013 Issue