Genovese Tomato Pie
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
1 package Pizza Dough, Flour
7 oz Montasio or Pressato, Thinly Sliced
5 lbs Ripe Tomatoes
2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 1/2 oz Black Olives
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Method of Preparation
1. On a lightly floured board, roll out the dough to 22cm. diameter thick crust, so that it is slightly longer than the length of the pan.
2. Rinse the pan with water and place the dough in the baking pan so it covers the bottom and sides.
3. Cover the bottom of the dough with half the cheese slices.
4. Dip the tomatoes into boiling water, then remove the skins.
5. Slice lengthwise and place on the crust.
6. Add salt and pepper and sprinkle with strops of basil leaves.
7. Top with olives.
8. Drizzle with olive oil and cover with the remaining cheese.
9. Place in pre-heated 400 degrees F oven for 20 minutes.
10. Serve hot.
The Cheeses of Italy, Ars Vivendi