3+ Hours Inactive
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
14 oz Ground Beef
6 tbsp Bread Crumbs
6 tbsp Milk
2 tbsp Raisins
1 ea Garlic Clove, Minced
3 1/2 oz Pancetta, Finely Chopped
2 tbsp Pine Nuts
3 1/2 oz Grana Padano, Grated
1 tbsp Parsley, Chopped
2 ea Egg Yolks
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
4 tbsp Olive Oil
1 ea Onion, Diced
1 ea Carrot, Grated
1 ea Celery Stalk, Thinly Sliced
1 lb Tomatoes
1 tbsp Tomato Paste
2 ea Garlic Cloves
8 tbsp Olive Oil for Frying
Beef Broth (Optional)
Method of Preparation
1. Moisten the breadcrumbs with milk.
2. Soak the raisins in lukewarm water and drain.
3. Combine the meat, moistened breadcrumbs, drained raisins, garlic, ½ of the pancetta, pine nuts, Grana Padano, parsley, oregano, egg yolk, salt and pepper together.
4. Mix well.
5. Cover and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.
6. For the sauce- dip tomatoes into boiling water, drain, remove skin and cut into small pieces, leaving the hard yellow pulp.
7. Heat the oil and sauté the vegetables and remaining pancetta for 1 minutes.
8. Add the tomato, garlic cloves and tomato paste.
9. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
10. Let simmer in a covered pot for 20 minutes.
11. If necessary, or using, add beef broth.
12. Heat the oil and fry the meatballs until golden brown.
13. Drain the meatballs and add them to the tomato sauce.
14. Let simmer for 5 minutes.
15. Serve warm.
The Cheeses of Italy, Ars Vivendi