Fusilli with Eggplant and Tomatoes
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
3/4 lb Fusilli
1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 ea Garlic Cloves, Sliced Thin
1/2 cup Dry White Wine
1/3 cup Capers, Drained
1 lb Eggplant
1/2 cup Onion, Sliced
1 lb Tomatoes, Diced [or 1 can (28oz) diced tomatoes with juice]
1/2 cup Raisins
3/4 cup Pine Nuts
12 ea Basil Leaves, Torn, Plus extra for Garnish
1/2 tsp Red Chile Flakes
1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, Grated
Pinch of Salt
Method of Preparation
1. Cook pasta according to packages instructions.
2. Meanwhile, cut the eggplant into bite-size pieces with skin on.
3. Submerge the eggplant in a bowl of water with salt for 1 hour.
4. Remove, rinse and drain.
5. Sprinkle with extra salt and set aside.
6. In a large skillet combine olive oil, garlic, onion and red Chile flakes.
7. Cook on medium high for 4 minutes.
8. Add the eggplant, salt, tomatoes, pine nuts, raisins, capers and wine.
9. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
10. Cover and cook 10 to 12 minutes.
11. Drain cooked pasta, reserving 1/2 cup cooking water.
12. Add pasta, water and basil to the skillet.
13. Simmer on low until almost all of the liquid is absorbed.
14. Stir well.
15. Mix in the cheese and serve.
Tastes of Italia Magazine, June 2011 Issue