Fried Sweet Ravioli with Fresh Ricotta
3 hours inactive time
Serves 20 pieces
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
1/2 cup Whole Milk
1 (1/4oz) Packet Active Dry Yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
1/4 cup plus 1/4 tsp Granulated Sugar
2 1/4 cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
2 ea Egg Yolks
2 tbsp Butter, Unsalted
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/4 tsp Lemon Zest, Finely Grated
1/8 tsp Fine Sea Salt
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp Fresh Ricotta Cheese
1 tsp Confectioners’ Sugar
Zest of 1 Orange, Finely Grated
About 1 quart of Vegetable Oil, For Frying
Method of Preparation
1. In a small saucepan heat milk over medium heat until warm to touch (100 degrees), remove from heat.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitter with a dough hook, stir together warm milk, yeast and 1/4 tsp granulated sugar, let stand until foamy, about 15 minutes (if mixture doesn’t foam, start over with new yeast).
3. Stir in 1 cup of flour.
4. Let mixture stand at room temperature until doubled, about 1 hour (this mixture is called the sponge).
5. To the sponge, add remaining 1 1/4 cups flour, egg yolks, butter, 2 tbsp granulated sugar, vanilla, lemon zest and salt.
6. On low speed, mix dough until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
7. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let dough rise in a draft-free place at warm room temperature, until double in bulk, about 2 hours.
8. In a large bowl, mix together ricotta, confectioners’ sugar and orange zest.
9. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 15in round.
10. Using a floured 2in round cutter, cut 20 rounds from the dough. Discard scraps.
11. Roll each disc into a 4in round.
12. Place about 1 1/2 tsp ricotta filling on lower half of each round, leaving a boarder.
13. Fold top half of each round over filling and press edges together to seal.
14. Wrap edges of each half-circle around your index finger, bringing ends together to overlap by about 1/2 in.
15. Pinch edges to seal.
16. Place ravioli on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
17. Put remaining 2 tbsp granulated sugar in a large shallow bowl.
18. Heat about 3in oil to 375 degrees F in a 4 to 5 quart heavy pot over medium-high heat.
19. Fry ravioli, about 5 at a time, turning once until puffed and golden, about 1 minute.
20. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain.
21. While warm, in batches, toss in sugar to coat.
22. Serve warm or at room temperature.
La Cucina Italiana Magazine, April 2012 Issue