Fresh Lemon Tart
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
For the Crust-
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 3/4 cups All-Purpose Flour, Divided
2 tbsp Sugar
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
10 tbsp Whole Milk
For the Filling-
2 ea Large Eggs
2 ea Egg Whites
1/2 cup Fresh Lemon Juice
1 cup Sugar
2 tbsp Freshly Grated Lemon Zest
Fresh Berries for Garnish
Method of Preparation
1. Position rack in upper third of oven.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
3. To make the crust- mix oil and 1/4 cup of flour in a bowl until smooth.
4. Add the remaining flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
5. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, mix the ingredients together until crumbly.
6. With a fork, stir in the milk, 1 tbsp at a time, until a soft dough forms.
7. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead.
8. Press into disk.
9. Spray a 10 or 11 inch tart pan with nonstick spray.
10. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough into a 12 inch circle.
11. Carefully press the dough to fit into the prepared pan.
12. Trim the edges of excess dough.
13. Cover the crust with foil and weight with pie weights or dry beans.
14. Place tart on a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes.
15. Remove the foil and pie weights and set crust aside.
16. To make the filling- whisk the eggs, egg whites and sugar until smooth in a mixing bowl.
17. Slowly whisk in the lemon juice and zest.
18. Pour filling into partially baked pie crust.
19. Bake tart for about 20 minutes or until the crust is golden and the filling is set.
20. Cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes.
21. Serve garnished with fresh berries.
Tastes of Italia Magazine, April 2010 Issue