Focaccia with Rosemary
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
1 package Active Dry Yeast (1/4oz)
3 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
1 tsp Sugar
1 tsp Fine Sea Salt
1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Divided
1 tsp Coarse Sea Salt
2 tsp Rosemary, Minced
Rosemary Sprigs, For Garnish, If Desired
1 1/4 cups Lukewarm Water
Method of Preparation
- Combine the yeast and warm water in a bowl and stir to dissolve.
- Let sit for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 3 tbsp olive oil, fine sea salt, sugar and minced rosemary.
- Add the yeast and water mixture and stir to combine.
- Knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Brush the insides of a clean bowl with olive oil.
- Place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with the oil.
- Cover with plastic wrap and set aside to allow the dough to rise until it doubles, this should take about 1 ½ hours.
- Punch down the dough.
- On a floured work surface, press the dough into a rectangle about 9x12inches.
- Roll out the dough to about 10x14inches.
- Brush a 10x14inch baking dish with oil.
- Place the dough into the pan.
- Stretch it out to the edges of the pan.
- Brush the top with oil, cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for 1 ½ hours more.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Just before baking the focaccia, use your fingertips to press several dimples into the dough.
- Drizzle olive oil over the dough, then sprinkle it with the coarse sea salt.
- Bake on the center rack of the oven for 20 minutes.
- Lower the heat to 350 degrees F and bake for 20 minutes more.
- Garnish with rosemary sprigs, if desired.
Tastes of Italia Magazine, April 2016 Issue