Five Ingredient Fried Chicken Sandwich
Note: If you do not have self-rising flour, you can substitute 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 tbsp baking powder and 1 tsp kosher salt.
- 1 jar Sliced Pickles, such as Vlasic, with brine
- 4 Chicken breasts, Boneless and Skinless
- Salt and Pepper, To Taste
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups Self-Rising Flour (See note above)
- 1 Quart Vegetable Oil (Can substitute Canola Oil)
- 4 Soft Hamburger Buns or Brioch, Toasted
Method of Preparation
1. Pour 3/4 cup pickle juice out of the pickle jar into a cup. Reserve the pickles.
2. Season chicken generously with salt and course ground pepper.
3. Place the chicken in a zipper-lock bag.
4. Pour in pickle juice and seal the bag, pressing out as much air as possible.
5. Refrigerate and let chicken soak in pickle juice for at least 1 hour, up to 12 hours. We suggest at least 4 hours.
6. When ready to fry, remove chicken from the bag and discard the pickle juice.
7. Pat chicken dry with paper towels.
8. Pour buttermilk into a medium bowl.
9. In a separate bowl, mix flour and 1 tbsp pepper.
10. Transfer 3 tbsp buttermilk to the bowl with the flour and work it into the flour with your fingertips.
11. Transfer chicken to bowl with buttermilk and turn to coat.
12. Work with one piece at a time; remove chicken from buttermilk, allowing excess to drip off.
13. Add chicken to bowl with flour and turn, lifting the flour on top of it and pressing it down firmly until a thick, shaggy layer of flour has stuck to the chicken.
14. Transfer to a plate and repeat with remaining chicken pieces.
15. Heat oil in a wok, deep cast iron skillet or Dutch oven to 425 degrees F using a frying thermometer or an instant-read thermometer.
16. Carefully lower chicken pieces into the hot oil, temperature will drop.
17. Adjust heat to maintain a temperature of between 300 and 250 degrees F.
18. Cook without moving until well browned on first side, about 2 minutes.
19. Flip chicken carefully using tongs and a slotted spatula and cook until second side is browned and chicken is fully cooked, 2-3 minutes longer.
20. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
21. Place bottom buns on a work surface and top with a few pickles each. Top with chicken