Fennel Potato Gratin
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
1 lb Fennel
2 lb Russet Potatoes, Washed, Peeled and Sliced Thin
2 cups Milk
1/4 cup Chicken Stock
1/2 lb Fontina Cheese, Grated
1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, Grated
Salt and Pepper, To Taste
Method of Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Butter a 10x15x2inch dish.
3. Remove the stalks from the fennel and cut the bulbs in half lengthwise.
4. Remove the core and thinly slice the bulbs crosswise, this should make about 4 cups of sliced fennel.
5. In a medium saucepan, bring the chicken stock to a boil.
6. Put the fennel into a pot, cover and steam for about 10 minutes, until the fennel is tender.
7. When cooked, drain and remove from the pan.
8. In a large bowl, combine the sliced potatoes, fennel, milk, Fontina and Parmigiano.
9. Mix well and season with salt and pepper.
10. Pour the mixture into a prepared baking dish and put into the oven to bake for about 1 1/2 hours.
11. Remove from the heat and let sit for about 10 minutes before serving.
Tastes of Italia Magazine, April 2010 Issue