Fava Bean and Potato Soup
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
2 1/4 cups Peas, Shelled, From about 2 1/2 lbs in pods or Frozen, Not Thawed
3 cups Fava Beans, Shelled, From about 4 lbs in pods
1 lb Yukon Gold Potatoes, Peeled, Cut into 1/2inch cubes
1 ea Onion, Sliced Thin
5 1/2 cups Vegetable Broth
2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Fine Sea Salt
Method of Preparation
1. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil.
2. Add bean and cook for 1 minute.
3. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the beans to a colander and run under cold water to stop the cooking.
4. Drain the beans, then gently peel and discard the skins.
5. In a large saucepan, bring 4 cups of broth to a simmer.
6. Add the potatoes.
7. Keep heat at a gentle simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
8. Meanwhile, in a second large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
9. Add the onion, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
10. Add the beans and peas to the saucepan with the onion.
11. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes.
12. Add the remaining 1 1/2 cups broth and 1 1/4 cups water.
13. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
14. Transfer the pan contents to a blender and blend until smooth. You might have to do this in batches.
15. Return the pea soup to the saucepan.
16. Adjust the seasoning to taste and keep warm.
17. Transfer the potatoes and 2 cups of their cooking liquid to a clean blender.
18. Carefully puree until smooth.
19. Return potato soup to a second saucepan.
20. Gently reheat the soups.
21. To serve, use 2 ladles.
22. Simultaneously pour coups into serving bowls, use a butter knife to create a swirled effect.
23. Serve with rolls.
La Cucina Italiana Magazine, May/June 2013 Issue