Eggplant, Zucchini and Fennel Casserole
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
2 ea Eggplants
2 ea Zucchini
4 ea Italian Green Peppers, Washed, Seeded and cut into thin strips
1 ea Fennel Bulb, Including fine fronds, Sliced fine
2 ea Onions, Sliced Fine
3 ea Garlic Cloves
1/4 to 1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 cups Canned Plum Tomatoes, Drained, Cut into 1/2inch Cubes
2 tbsp Fresh Basil, Finely Chopped (Or 1tsp dried)
6 sprigs Italian Parsley, Finely Chopped (or 1 tsp dried)
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Method of Preparation
1. Wash and dry the eggplants.
2. Cut off and discard the ends, but do not peel.
3. Cut them into thin slices and lightly salt.
4. Transfer to a colander.
5. Wash and dry the zucchini.
6. Cut off and discard the ends, but do not peel.
7. Cut into thin slices, salt and add to the colander.
8. Allow the zucchini and eggplant to drain for 20 to 30 minutes.
9. Dry all slices with a kitchen towel.
10. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
11. In a large skillet, heat 2 tbsp oil and sauté the eggplant slices.
12. Add more oil as needed.
13. Repeat with the zucchini slices.
14. Set zucchini and eggplant aside.
15. In the same skillet, add more oil and sauté the onions and garlic for 5 minutes.
16. Add peppers, fennel, tomatoes, basil and parsley.
17. Mix well.
18. In a casserole, arrange the first layer of eggplant, then a layer of zucchini.
19. Add some of the tomato mixture.
20. Salt and pepper to taste.
21. Repeat layers of eggplant, zucchini and tomatoes until all ingredients are used.
22. Salt and pepper to taste.
23. Cover and bake for 1 hour.
Tastes of Italia Magazine, October 2009 Issue