Dry Zabaglione Vegetable Compote
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
2 lbs of One boiled vegetable or a compote of different vegetables, such as asparagus, green beans, artichokes, potatoes or zucchini
5 ea Egg Yolks
3/4 cup Dry White Wine
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Method of Preparation
1. Arrange the vegetable or compote of vegetables on a large platter.
2. Cover the vegetables with a cotton dish towel that has been dampened with cold water.
3. Let stand until needed.
4. Prepare the sauce: put water in the bottom of a double boiler and place it over medium heat.
5. Put the egg yolks in a glass bowl and add salt and pepper.
6. Stir in the same direction until the eggs and seasoning are well amalgamated and the egg yolks turn a lighter color.
7. Add the wine slowly, mixing continuously.
8. The top part of the double boiler should not be placed over the boiling water until the ingredients have been well mixed together.
9. When all is ready and the water is boiling, transfer the contents of the bowl to the top part of the double boiler and place it over the boiling water.
10. Stir constantly with the wooden spoon, continuing to only stir in one direction.
11. At the moment just before it comes to a boil, the zabaglione sauce should be thick enough to coat the wooden spoon.
12. Do not let the zabaglione come to a boil.
13. Remove the top part of the double boiler from the heat, stir and transfer the sauce to a glass bowl.
14. The sauce may be used hot or at room temperature.
15. When ready to serve, pour the sauce in the middle of a serving platter with the vegetables arrange in a circle around the edges.
Giuliano Bugialli’s Foods of ITALY