Diavola (Devil’s Style) Chicken
All ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market & Cafe.
This dish is traditionally a pan-fried dish.
Below you will find the instructions to pan-fry or to roast the chicken.
• 1 ea 4lb Whole Chicken
• 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• 2 ea Garlic, Minced
• 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
• 2 tbsp Oregano, Minced
• 2 tbsp Thyme, Minced
• 2 ea Lemons
• Salt and Pepper, To Taste
Method of Preparation
1. Remove innards from the chicken.
2. Butterfly the chicken (removing the back bone by cutting down the front through the breast with kitchen shears) and flatten it, using a meat mallet.
3. Rinse chicken on both sides.
4. Pat dry and coat thoroughly with olive oil.
5. Combine the thyme, oregano, garlic and red pepper flakes in a small bowl.
6. Rub the mixture all over the chicken.
7. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Place the chicken in a covered bowl and let it marinate in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours.
9. When ready to cook, bring chicken to room temperature.
10. To pan-fry: Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
11. Add 1 tbsp of the marinade to the pan.
12. When hot, add the chicken, skin side down and cook for 15-20 minutes.
13. Press the chicken with a heavy pot so the whole surface touches the hot pan.
14. Flip and cook for an additional 15 to 20 minutes, until browned.
15. To roast: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
16. Place chicken in a roast pan.
17. Add 1 tbsp of the marinade on top.
18. Roast for 30 to 35 minutes.
19. Serve with the juice of one lemon and lemon wedges as garnish.
The Magazine of La Cucina Italiana