Cornish Game Hens in Fricassea
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
4 ea Cornish Game Hens, Washed and Patted Dry
2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
5 ea Garlic Cloves, Peeled
2 ea Shallots, Roughly Chopped
2/3 cup White Wine
2 ea Egg Yolks
1 bunch Thyme
Juice of 2 Lemons
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper, To Taste
Method of Preparation
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Rub the hens with olive oil.
3. Fill the cavity of each with some of the shallots, thyme and garlic.
4. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Place the hens in a roasting pan and add any remaining shallots and garlic.
6. Roast for 20 minutes.
7. Add the wine and cook for 15 minutes more.
8. In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks and lemon juice together.
9. Remove the hens from the roasting pan and strain the juices into a saucepan.
10. Place over medium heat.
11. Slowly pour the egg mixture into the saucepan, whisking constantly.
12. Cook over low heat until the sauce and smooth and creamy.
13. Do not bring to a boil or scramble the yolk.
14. Ladle the sauce over the hens before serving.
Italian Cooking and Living Magazine, February 2004 Issue