Classic Italian Vegetable Soup
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
3 ea Zucchini, Scrubbed and cut into 1/4inch dice
2 ea Carrots, Peeled and cut into 1/4inch dice
2 ea Celery Ribs with Leaves, Sliced Thin
1 ea Tomatoes, Peeled, Seeded and cut into 1/4inch dice
1/2 ea Onion
4 oz Green Beans, Trimmed and cut into 1/4inch dice
1/2 cup Frozen Green Peas
4 ea Potatoes, Peeled and cut into 1/4inch dice
4 oz Fresh Lima Beans (or Frozen)
1 ea Leek, White Part Only, Cut in half lengthwise, Well rinsed and sliced thin crosswise
7 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Plus 2 tbsp for Garnish
10 cups Water
1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
10 ea Fresh Basil Leaves, Chopped
Method of Preparation
1. If using frozen lima beans, thaw and set aside.
2. Bring the water, salt and olive oil to a boil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
3. Add the potatoes, zucchini, carrots, celery, tomatoes, onion, green beans, peas, leek and the fresh or thawed lima beans.
4. Return the liquid to a boil.
5. Reduce the heat to a lively simmer and cook, covered, for 25 minutes.
6. Let the soup rest off of the heat for 15 minutes.
7. Ladle into warm soup bowls.
8. Sprinkle each serving with parmesan cheese.
9. Garnish each serving with a light drizzle of olive oil and some chopped basil.
Tastes of Italia Magazine, October 2009 Issue