Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
2/3 cup Almonds, Slivered
1/2 cup Hazelnuts, Chopped
1/2 cup Amaretti Cookies or Plain Biscotti, Coarsely Chopped
6 tbsp Butter, Room Temperature, Cut into pieces
1 ea (12oz) Bag of Semisweet Chocolate Chips
3 tbsp Amaretto Liqueur
2 tbsp Orange Zest
3/4 cup Confectioner’s Sugar
Method of Preparation
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Spread the nuts and chopped biscotti in a single layer on a baking sheet.
3. Bake for 7 minutes, until the nuts are lightly toasted.
4. Remove from the oven and let cool.
5. Combine the butter and chocolate in a double boiler and melt until the mixture is smooth.
6. Do not overcook.
7. Add the liqueur and stir until combined and smooth.
8. Add the nuts, chopped biscotti and orange zest and stir until combined.
9. Cover the bowl and chill about 1 hour.
10. Remove the chocolate mixture from the refrigerator.
11. Divide it in half and place it on a piece of place wrap that is about 20inches long.
12. Form the chocolate mixture into a log, about 7 inches long and 2 inches in diameter.
13. Roll the log in the plastic wrap and seal the ends.
14. Roll back and forth on a work surface to make the log round.
15. Repeat with the remaining half of the chocolate mixture.
16. Refrigerate the logs until firm, about 1 hour.
17. Spread the confectioner’s sugar on a large plate or other flat surface.
18. Remove the plastic wrap from the logs and place roll them in the sugar to coat.
19. Let the logs sit at room temperature for 15 minutes, then slice with a sharp knife.
20. Cut the slices to any thickness you prefer.
21. Keep the logs in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Tastes of Italia Magazine, February 2016 Issue