Chocolate Espresso Almond Torte
8 Hours Inactive Time
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
16 oz Semisweet Dark Chocolate Chips
5 ea Eggs
1/2 cup Sugar
2 ea Sticks of Butter, Unsalted, Cut into Pieces
1/4 cup Dark Chocolate Cocoa
1/4 cup Instant Coffee Granules
1 tsp Almond Extract
2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
3 tbsp Fresh Strong Coffee, Cooled
1 cup Powdered Sugar
1/4 cup Cocoa Powder
Toasted Almonds, Chopped
Method of Preparation
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Place a pan filled halfway with water on the stove over medium heat.
3. Place the chocolate and butter in a metal bowl or smaller pan and set it in the large pan with the water.
4. Gently whisk together until melted.
5. Remove from heat and set aside.
6. Beat together the eggs and sugar on high speed until the mixture is a pale yellow.
7. Gently stir in the melted chocolate mixture, cocoa, instant coffee and almond extract.
8. Pour the batter into a 9inch spring form pan that has been lightly sprayed with cooking spray.
9. Bake for 10 minutes.
10. Cover with foil and bake another 15 minutes.
11. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
12. To make the espresso cream- Beat together the whipping cream, sugar and coffee until extremely thick.
13. Spoon over the cooled torte, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
14. To serve- Cut into serving pieces and top each with cocoa powder sprinkled through a strainer, then add chopped almonds and cranberries.
Tastes of Italia Magazine, December 2010 Issue