Chicken Breasts stuffed with Almonds and Mascarpone
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
4 ea Chicken Breasts, Skin On
6 tbsp Mascarpone Cheese, Divided
1/2 cup Almonds, Roasted
4 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Divided
1/2 cup White Wine
1/4 cup Chicken Broth
2 ea Fennel Bulbs
2 tbsp Water
1 lb Spinach
Juice and Zest of 1 Lemon
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper, To Taste
Method of Preparation
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Process the almonds in a food processor until roughly smashed.
3. Add 4 tbsp of Mascarpone to the processed almonds.
4. Add the lemon juice and zest and mix well.
5. Working from one side of the chicken breast, slip your fingers between the skin and the flesh, being careful not to remove the skin.
6. Push a heaping spoonful of the almond mascarpone mix into the gap of each breast.
7. Press the skin firmly back on, saving any leftover pasta.
8. Add 3 tbsp of the oil to an ovenproof, nonstick pan.
9. Place over medium heat.
10. Add the breasts to the pan, skin side down.
11. After 2 minutes, turn to seal the other side.
12. Place the pan in the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
13. Meanwhile, cut the fennel bulbs in half lengthwise, then into thin slices.
14. Place the fennel into a medium hot pan with 1 tbsp oil, salt and pepper to taste, and the water.
15. Cover and let simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
16. When the chicken is cooked, remove from the pan and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
17. Return the pan to the heat, add the broth and wine and allow to cook down to almost nothing.
18. Finish the sauce by stirring in any remaining almond paste and the remaining 2 tbsp of mascarpone cheese.
19. Simmer until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
20. When the fennel is cooked, season with salt and pepper to taste.
21. Add the spinach.
22. Allow it to wilt down.
Tastes of Italia Magazine, April 2016 Issue