Chicken and Beef Stock
Serves 2.5 Quarts
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
3 to 4 lbs Whole Chicken or 2 lbs Stewing Beef
4 quarts Cold Water
1 ea Bay Leaf
2 ea Carrots, Chopped
1 ea Onion, Chopped
1 ea Leek, Chopped
2 ea Celery Stocks
Method of Preparation
1. Place the chicken or beef in a large stockpot and cover with the water.
2. Add the bay leaf.
3. Cover and slowly bring to a boil, skimming any foam with a slotted spoon.
4. Add the carrots, onion, leek and celery.
5. Bring back to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered for 90 minutes, skimming the foam off occasionally.
6. Strain the broth through a fine, mesh sieve.
7. Discard the solids.
8. If using the stock right away, skim off the fat and discard.
9. If not using the stock right away, let it cool uncovered, then refrigerate.
10. Remove the fat from the chilled stock.
Tales of Risotto, Culinary Adventures from Villa d’Este by Jean Govoni Salvadore and Luciano Parolari