Serves 9 dozen
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
2 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
2 1/2 tbsp Granulated Sugar
1/4 tsp Salt
2 tbsp Butter, Softened
1 ea Egg
2 tbsp Whole Milk
1 tbsp Lemon Juice
2 tbsp Sweet Wine
Confectioners’ Sugar, For Sprinkling
Oil, For Frying
Method of Preparation
1. Combine flour, sugar and salt.
2. Add the butter and blend it in until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
3. Add the egg, milk, lemon juice and sweet wine.
4. Mix well, forming a ball of dough.
5. Divide the dough into 4 sections.
6. Working with one piece at a time, roll out each piece on the floured surface to about 1/8inch thick.
7. Use a pastry wheel to cut each piece of the rolled dough into 1inch strips.
8. Either twist the strips loosely to make ribbon-like pieces or cut them into bite-size pieces.
9. Place the strips on parchment or baking sheets.
10. In a deep fryer or deep, heavy skillet, heat the vegetable oil to 375 degrees F.
11. Fry the strips until golden brown. You can fry a few at a time but don’t over crowd them.
12. Drain on paper towels.
13. When the strips have cooled, sprinkle them with the confectioners’ sugar.
Tastes of Italia Magazine, February 2016 Issue