Celery Root, Fontina and Prosciutto Gratin
All ingredients are available in the market!
1 ea Orange
1 1/2 lbs Celery Root, Peeled, Cut into 1/8in thick slices
1 ea Bay Leaf
6 oz Fontina Cheese, Grated
1/4 lb Prosciutto, Sliced Thin, Torn into small pieces
Butter, Unsalted for greasing baking dish
Fine Sea Salt
Method of Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Cut 1 (1/4in thick) round with peel on from the orange, reserving remaining orange.
3. Cook celery root in a pot of lightly salted boiling water with orange slice and bay leaf for 5 minutes.
4. Drain, removed and discard orange and bay leaf.
5. Grease a 1 to 1 1/2 quart baking dish with butter.
6. Layer 1/4 of the celery root slices evenly on the bottom of the dish.
7. Cover with 1/4 of fontina and then 1/4 of the prosciutto.
8. Repeat layers three more times.
9. Bake until lightly golden for 20 minutes on middle rack.
10. Serve warm.
La Cucina Italiana Magazine, November 2013 Issue