Cassata Cream Cake
Cassata Cream cake is a wonderful cake for the holidays.
It was made famous by the Sicilians and can be seen all over Italy.
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
1 1/2 lbs Fresh Ricotta
1 tsp Vanilla
2 tbsp Tangerine or Orange Liqueur
2 cups Sugar
5 ea Bitter Chocolate Squares (5oz each), Crushed into small pieces
1/2 cup Candied Fruit, Finely Diced
1/4 cup Whole Pistachio Nuts
Fruit for Topping, Optional
For the Sponge Cake
2/3 cup Sugar
1 cup Flour, Sifted
1/2 cup Butter, Melted and Cooled
4 ea Eggs
Method of Preparation
1. For the sponge cake- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Put the bowl over simmer water, without touching the water, and continue to beat until the mixture is warmed and has doubled in volume. 5 minutes.
3. Remove from the simmering water and keep beating until the mixture has cooled.
4. Fold in the flour and the butter.
5. Incorporate the flour and butter without over mixing.
6. Transfer to a well buttered 9inch cake pan.
7. Bake for 40 minutes.
8. Once cooled, invert the cake and turn it out onto a flat dish.
9. Put the ricotta, sugar, vanilla and liqueur in a food processor and process until smooth, 15 seconds.
10. Transfer to a bowl and fold in the chocolate, fruit and pistachios. Mix well.
11. Cut the sponge cake into 1/2inch slices and line a 10inch glass bowl with some of the slices.
12. Add the creamed ricotta mixture over the sponge cake pieces and pat it down.
13. Cover with the remaining slices of sponge cake.
14. Make a cardboard cutout the same size as the top of the cake.
15. Weight it with one or two cans of food.
16. Put in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
17. When ready to serve, remove the cake from the refrigerator.
18. Turn it over onto a large platter.
19. Remove the bowl and sprinkle it with confectioner’s sugar or fruit.
20. Serve immediately.
Tastes of Italia Magazine, December 2010 Issue