Cabbage Soup with Cheese
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
1 ea Large Head of Cabbage, Cut into strips
1 lb White Bread, Day old, Cut into slices
1 liter Beef Broth
1 lb Fontina, Sliced
5 oz Butter
Method of Preparation
1. Place cabbage in a pot and cover with water.
2. Add salt, bring to a boil and cook for 45 minutes.
3. Butter a metal pan and add a few slices of bread.
4. Soak with a few spoonful’s of beef broth.
5. Drain the boiled white cabbage in a colander.
6. Place a layer of cabbage in the pan.
7. Pour the butter over and top with slices of fontina.
8. Add another layer of bread soaked in broth, white cabbage and fontina until all ingredients are used.
9. Top off with a layer of white bread and pour in remaining broth.
10. Top with bits of butter.
11. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
12. Place the pan in the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes or until brown.
The Cheeses of Italy, Ars Vivendi