Butternut Squash Salad with Fresh Mozzarella and Pistachio Pesto
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
2 ea Garlic Cloves
1/4 cup plus 1 1/2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 1/2 tbsp Butter, Unsalted
15 ea Sage Leaves
5 cups Butternut Squash, Peeled and cut into 1/2in cubes
1/2 cup Shelled Unsalted Pistachios
1/4 cup Grape Seed Oil
1 1/4 tsp Red Wine Vinegar
6 oz Buffalo Mozzarella, Torn into small pieces
Fine Sea Salt
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Method of Preparation
1. Gently smash and peel 1 garlic clove.
2. In a 12in skillet, heat 1 ½ tsp olive oil and the butter, sage and peeled garlic over medium-high heat.
3. When butter is melted and bubbles form around sage, add squash, ¼ tsp salt and generous pinch of pepper.
4. Cook over high heat, tossing occasionally, until squash is tender, 10 minutes.
5. Remove from heat.
6. Remove and discard garlic.
7. Transfer the squash and sage to a large serving plate or shallow bowl.
8. In a blender, combine remaining 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/3 of the remaining garlic clove, pistachios, grape seed oil, vinegar and 1/4tsp salt.
9. Puree until smooth.
10. Top squash with cheese , then drizzle with pesto.
La Cucina Italiana Magazine, November 2013 Issue