Brutti ma Buoni
Serves 24 Cookies
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
This “Ugly But Good” cookie is similar to a meringue cookie except is has nuts mixed in.
6 ea Egg Whites
1 tbsp All Purpose Flour
1 tso Vanilla Extract
3/4 cups Sugar
1 tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1 cup Almonds
1 cup Hazelnuts
Method of Preparation
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Lightly toast the almonds until they just begin to take on color.
3. Toast the hazelnuts until their skins begin to split and they begin to color.
4. Remove the nuts from the oven and place in a kitchen towel.
5. Rub the nuts until their skins fall off.
6. Coarsely chop the almonds and hazelnuts together.
7. Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees F.
8. Lightly grease two baking sheets.
9. Let the egg whites stand until at room temperature and then beat them until light and foamy.
10. While continuing to beat, add the sugar, cocoa, flour and vanilla gradually.
11. Beat until soft peaks are formed.
12. Gently fold in the nuts.
13. Spoon the cookies onto the prepared baking sheets by the teaspoon.
14. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, remove one firm and dry to the touch.
15. Remove and place on a wire rack to cool.
Tastes of Italia Magazine, April 2016 Issue