Bread Soup with Leeks
Inactive Time: 2 Hours
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
4 ea Leeks
1/2 cups Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 1/2 lbs Fresh Tomatoes
1/2 tsp Hot Red Pepper Flakes
3 cups Homemade Beef Broth
6 ea Basil Leaves
1 lb Crusty Italian Bread
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
12 ea tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil, For Serving
Method of Preparation
1. Clean the leeks: slice off the ends with the attached roots.
2. Slice off the green leaves at the point where the white stems turn green.
3. Cut the remaining white stems into rings about 1/4 in thick.
4. Put the leeks in a bowl of cold water and let them soak for a 1/2 hour.
5. Drain the leeks and rinse them very carefully under cold running water.
6. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
7. When the oil is warm, add the leeks and sauté for 15 minutes.
8. Meanwhile, pass the tomatoes through a food mill, using the disc with the small holes.
9. Add the tomatoes to the leeks.
10. Then add salt and pepper to taste and the hot red pepper flakes.
11. Simmer, covered, for a 1/2 hour.
12. Cut the bread into small pieces and add it to the pot.
13. Mix very well and sauté for 5 minutes.
14. Then add the broth, mix well and remove the pot from the heat.
15. Cover the pot and let it stand for 1 hour.
16. When ready to serve, stir the bread soup well and taste for salt and pepper.
17. Serve the soup in individual bowls, adding 1 fresh basil leaf and 2 tbsp of olive oil to each serving.
Giuliano Bugialli’s Foods of ITALY