Braised Pork Shanks with Fennel and Peppercorns
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
4 ea Fennel Bulbs with Stems
4 ea Pork Shanks, about 6lbs
2 1/2 cups Dry White Wine
6 ea Whole Garlic Cloves, Smashed and Peeled
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1Tbsp Fennel Seeds
15 ea Whole Allspice
1 tbsp Whole Black Peppercorns
4 ea Potatoes
Fine Sea Salt
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Method of Preparation
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Separate the fennel bulbs from the stems.
3. Trim bulbs, keeping root ends intact, then cut lengthwise into quarters and set aside.
4. Cut stems crosswise into 1/2 in pieces.
5. Pat shanks dry and generously season with salt and pepper and sear on all sides. And set the meat aside
6. In the same large pot sauté the fennel stems and garlic for 2 min, deglaze with the white wine.
7. Return the shanks to the pan and add fennel seeds, allspice and peppercorns, cover the pan and braise in the oven for 1 hour.
8. Meanwhile, peel the potatoes.
9. Remove pot from oven, add reserve fennel bulbs and potatoes, and stir to combine.
10. Return to oven and braise, covered for 30 minutes.
11. Uncover, gently stir and continue cooking for 45 more minutes.
12. Serve shanks and vegetable with braising liquid.
La Cucina Italiana Magazine, November 2013 Issue